A Comprehensive Data Analysis Of 27 Seasons Of The Simpsons

The Simpsons have been around for nearly three decades and it doesn’t show any signs of slowing down. With 27 seasons under their belt so far, there are plenty of characters, locations, and quirks to remember. That’s why Todd W. Schneider decided to carefully analyze all that data from the 27 seasons and put that information into a series of charts. Schneider organizes the information based on a series of criteria, such characters who have spoken the most words to the most used locations, even the series’ ratings compared to others in the industry.

The Simpsons needs no introduction. At 27 seasons and counting, it’s the longest-running scripted series in the history of American primetime television.

“The show’s longevity, and the fact that it’s animated, provides a vast and relatively unchanging universe of characters to study. It’s easier for an animated show to scale to hundreds of recurring characters; without live-action actors to grow old or move on to other projects, the denizens of Springfield remain mostly unchanged from year to year.”

The Simpsons Characters Who Have Spoken The Most

Simpsons Data Analysis Top Characters

Simpsons Data Analysis Supporting Characters

As far as main characters go, it’s obvious that the nuclear family the show revolves around, the Simpsons, have the most dialogue. Home ranks first, accounting for 21% of the show’s spoken words, while Marge, Bart, and Lisa combine for a total of 26%. Together, the Simpson’s family accounts for 47% of the show’s dialogue. For the supporting cast, Mr. Burns takes the top spot with Moe and Skinner coming in second and third respectively.

As you can see from the charts, the red bars represent female characters while the blue is for males. Based on Schneider’s analysis, there is quite a gender imbalance on The Simpsons, with women only accounting for only 25% of the dialogue, including Marge and Lisa. If the nuclear family were to be removed from the show, women would account for less than 10% of the show’s overall dialogue.

Eye On Springfield

Simpsons Data Analysis Locations

Schneider also used the scripts to determine which locations had the most dialogue. Not surprisingly, a majority of the dialogue occurred within the Simpsons’ home, while the streets of Springfield was the scene for the least amount of dialogue.

Schneider also used the information he gathered from Simpsons World to create a TV-ratings chart by episode, a comparison of TV program ratings by year, and the transition Bart-to-Homer dialogue by season. Be sure to check out the rest of his analyses here.

[Via: Todd W. Schneider]

Share this Story
Need help creating powerful branded content? Let Column Five hook you up.
Load More Related Articles

Facebook Comments

Get inspiration in your inbox. Sign up for our newsletter.