What comes to mind when you think of a Chinese Canadian named Raymond Li living in St. John’s, Newfoundland? The likely answer is not hydro jet packs or walking on water. However, Li was the first person to develop jet levitation technology that is essentially a combination of a jet ski tethered to a jet pack using hi pressure water to keep a pilot above the water. He developed the Jetlev (abbreviated from the words Jet Levitation) concept in 2000 [Read more...]
A transparent sensor that is so stretchy it can be pulled to twice its original length and then bounce back perfectly has potential for use with prosthetic limbs, robotics, and touch-sensitive computer displays. [Read more...]
In this entertaining, beautiful and profound animation, psychiatrist and writer Iain McGilchrist expounds on the uniquely ‘divided’ human brain. He details how this split in our heads was differently understood in the past and how it has altered our behavior, culture and society over time. So much insight you’ll need to use the pause button… a lot!
Lora Zombie calls her bright, color splattered watercolors “grunge art” but I’m fairly sure you could label it anything from “magnetic” to “uplifting” and be right on. Her speech bubble heavy works, mix diverse linear characters with perfectly placed splashes of paint, giving the pieces a happy mix of perfection and chaos. If you cruise by her website, lorazombie.com or DeviantArt, you’ll find a plethora of other work with new pieces from her latest show at Mart Gallery, St. Petersburg, Russia. See the bottom of this post for an intimate look at Lora creating her piece “Love Shock.” [Read more...]
Death and Taxes is a behemoth graph of the federal budget. Containing 500 of the largest programs and departments, nearly all that receive over 200 million dollars each year, the graphic gives us a revealing look at where the U.S. puts its financial priorities.
Created using data from the president’s 2012 budget proposal, Jess Bachman spends a few months each year creating a new edition to keep us up to date. All of the program circles are proportional in size to their funding levels and for comparison the percentage change from both 2012 and 2002 is included so you can identify trends. For a full sized, zoomable view, or to purchase the yearly poster, head to deathandtaxesposter.com [Read more...]
These bold red posters aren’t just propaganda, but also a warning of how the top 1% of the wealthy may be looking down upon the rest of us: the so called 99%. The poster above is especially ominous; will we as a global community be able to stay steadfast and sway the giant that controls the majority of our world resources and wealth? Find out more about Fro, the Los Angeles based designer behind these posters or order prints at frodesignco.com [Read more...]
There’s more to these clean designs than first meets the eye. Polish design duo, Homework, have been printing up some very punchy movie posters for the last few years, promoting film fests around the country. Here we bring you a sampling of their work, featuring some of their best examples of creatively combined visuals. See more of their extensive catalogue at homework.com.pl [Read more...]
Proving that money can buy happiness, these money/face mashups are stacking up quick around the web. The visual trick has been around for a while now, but not until this week when Reddit user MadSon11 posted his head matched with Alexander Hamiltons jaw (above) did the meme really get some legs. Redditors the world over have posted images using both U.S. bills and their own currency. Want to see MadSon11′s lower half? See the bottom of this post [Read more...]
Mikel Uribetxeberria’s series Animalia seems to ask the question: what would happen if humans disappeared and gorillas took over the city? In a collaboration with animal photographers on flickr, he has created both intriguing and disquieting imagery using his own architectural photographs to set the scene. For a look at the original animal pictures used for each image, see the links above each picture [Read more...]
It’s difficult to describe the wild, manic trip taken in this animation by Qwaqa. With a smattering of pop cultural references and a strong anime vision, the film whisks you through captivating scene after scene, creatively transitioning to the next and keeping you guessing where it’s all headed. Giving the film its musical rhythm is Fat Boy Slim’s now classic, Right Here, Right Now [Read more...]