For the Documerica Project (1971-1977), the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) hired freelance photographers to capture images relating to environmental problems, EPA activities, and everyday life in the 1970s.
Flip Schulke documented everyday life in New Ulm, Minnesota and the Florida Keys during the 1970s. In both locations, Schulke focused on the retired and the lives they lead in these two very different locals. Additionally, while teaching at the University of Missouri’s Columbia School of Journalism, Schulke recruited several students to photograph New Ulm to supplement his own photographs.
Original Caption: American Dreams at Little Duck Key. Commercial Camping Sites and Travel Trailer Courts Have Sprung Up Throughout the Keys. Even on the Smaller Keys Like Little Duck, Where No Facilities Have Yet Been Constructed, Camping Is Permitted by Local Authorities.
Original Caption: Donald Dannheim and His Family Operate the New Ulm Dairy Bottling Milk Is the Major Part of the Business, But the Firm Also Sells Ice Cream. Dannheim Is Working Hard to Retain the 10-Cent Price for Chocolate Ice Cream Bars. He and His Family Frequently Arise at 5 A.M. in the Summer to Hand Make and Hand Wrap the Bars. New Ulm Is a County Seat Trading Center in a Farming Area of Southern Minnesota Founded by German Immigrants.
Original Caption: Motorcycle Transportation Was Used by Young People of New Ulm, Minnesota. To Get to Clear Lake Three Miles West of Town for a Sunday of Swimming and Boating. The Town Is a County Seat Trading Center of 13,000 in a Farming Area of South Central Minnesota.
Original Caption: Participant in a Kiddies Parade, an Annual Event Held Early in the Evening During the Summer in New Ulm, Minnesota. The Youngsters and Parents Make All of Their Own Costumes and “Floats”. The Town Is a County Seat Trading Center of 13,000 in a Farming Area of South Central Minnesota. It Was Founded in 1854 by a German Immigrant Land Company That Encouraged Kinsmen to Emigrate From Europe. The Arrival of Manufacturing Firms Since 1950 Has Helped Community Growth.
Original Caption: Leaving Their “Travel-Trailer” on the Side of the Road, This Retired Couple From California Stops to Fish Off the Embankment at Spanish Harbor Key. Trailers Like This Are Highly Popular with Visitors to the Florida Keys.
Original Caption: Interior of the 3m Co.(Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing) Plant Showing an Employee Working on One of the Products. 3m Has 1,377 Employees Which Make It the Largest Industry in Town. The Complex Makes Molded Electronic Parts, and Black and White and Color Duplicating Machines. The Company Was Attracted to New Ulm by the Available Work Force Which Takes Pride in Its Work. The Town Is a County Seat Trading Center of 13,000 in Southern Minnesota Founded by German Immigrants.
Original Caption: Ben and Hildred Ratner Enjoy an Evening of Music in Their Apartment in Century Village Retirement Community. Mr. Ratner Is a Professional Musician. Their Apartment Is Typical of Those in the Village Complex.
Original Caption: Residents of Century Village, a New Retirement Community Sun Themselves at Poolside. The Entire Village of 7,838 Units (Individually-Owned Condominiums) Is Due for Completion in the Spring of 1974.
Original Caption: Youths Congregate Around the Front Steps of a Home in New Ulm, Minnesota, to Decide What to Do on a Summer Day. The Town Is a County Seat Trading Center of 13,000 in a Farming Area of South Central Minnesota. It Was Founded in 1854 by a German Immigrant Land Company That Encouraged Kinsmen to Emigrate From Europe the Town Has Been Growing Steadily Since 1950 with the Arrival of Several Manufacturing Firms. with Community Support, the Business District Has Been Revitalized.
Original Caption: Youngsters Roller Skating at Izzy-Dorry’s Roller Rink at New Ulm, Minnesota. The Town Is a County Seat Trading Center of 13,000 in a Farming Area of South Central Minnesota. It Was Founded in 1854 by a German Immigrant Land Company That Encouraged Its Kinsmen to Emigrate From Europe. Several Manufacturing Firms Have Located Here Since 1950 and Have Helped the Town to Grow. The Business District Was Revitalized During the 1960′s with Community Effort.